Monday 18 June 2012

Christening Delights :-)

So being asked to do a christening cake and the only thing i'm asked is that its pink! Three tiers, vanilla and has to feed a lot of people!!

Thought process begins straight away and decisions that not only does pink have to feature, this has to be spectacular, this has to be huge and this has to be the biggest thing ive ever attempted!!

Back to the beginning .......

Two months before ..................... "i need a christening cake, we want you to make it, do you have ideas and can you do it"

After a secret jig to myself and a massive smile spreading across my face ....... "come round and we can discuss ideas"

I sat with the mummy of the beautiful christening baby and listened intently to ......... " i want it to be pink, i want three tiers and I want vanilla"

So, i designed a three tier, vanilla sponge and vanilla buttercream christening cake. This cake was to have a bubblegum pink base, a powder pink centre and an ivory upper tier. I wanted roses and plenty of them, the main feature to be roses and I had to find the time to do it!!

Cutting to cake day ....................... I finish work at half five and hit the worse traffic i can ever imagine and decide that this is a very bad start!! I have catching up to do and I have to start straight away, no tea break, no time to change ..... I HAVE A CAKE TO MAKE!!!!

Thank heavens for cold weather, i have a frosty chilly out-house and a lovely chilled environment for my cakes to cool down!! Lets get baking!!!

Several hours later, cakes are cooling, buttercream is mixing, i finally have time for a cuppa and im starting to go past tired and into the hyperactive stage!!

Buttercream in, layers assembled and time to cool and start mixing icing colours. All three icing colours were great straight away, im sure my arms will end up looking like Arnold Schwarezenegger if i carry on doing this!! Time to roll, time to ice and time to make roses!!

Its 1 a.m, ive decided that whatever i cant do now, isnt going on the cake!! Im preparing to fall into a coma, normal sleep will not suffice at this point!!


I think the final product speaks for itself......

This turned out so much better than I could have hoped for! The end result was the centre of attention and the day was absolutely gorgeous! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment